Tuesday, January 24, 2006

As my friend Mikey J. so correctly pointed out in his comment, I've been rather vague in my bitching so this is what it is:

Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) is a neurological disorder characterized by progressive weakness and impaired sensory function in the legs and arms. The disorder, which is sometimes called chronic relapsing polyneuropathy, is caused by damage to the myelin sheath (the fatty covering that wraps around and protects nerve fibers) of the peripheral nerves. Although it can occur at any age and in both genders, CIDP is more common in young adults, and in men more so than women. It often presents with symptoms that include tingling or numbness (beginning in the toes and fingers), weakness of the arms and legs, loss of deep tendon reflexes (areflexia), fatigue, and abnormal sensations.

In my case, it gives me my memorable walking gait, essentially no muscles in my ankles or feet nor any stamina for high impact physical activity, and the balance of a 3 year old. Had it since I was 8. Had IV treatements at ages 9, 13, and now, but my main treatment as been prednisone, an oral steroid. They haven't stopped working nor is anything really wrong, per se, but I'm realizing more and more than performing is hard enough without worrying that you're gonna suddenly lose your balance in the middle of an aria. So we're trying this again.

Any further questions can be adressed one-on-one and c'est tout.

No comments: